Legal basis is the Trademark Act of February 5, 1993. The latest amendments were passed on January 5, 2016. Belarus is a member of the Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol.Trademark protection is obtained by registration.
Trademark registration classification:
- Name and address of the applicant.
- Prints of the trademark.
- list of goods for trademarks or service marks to be registered, which shall comply with the classes of goods or services as in the International Classification of Goods and Services (ICGS).
- Signed Power of Attorney, legalization and notarization are not required (may be filed to the Belarus Trademark Office within two months from the filing date).
- Certified copy of priority document if priority is to be claimed (may be filed to the Belarus Trademark Office within three months from the filing date).
- After the completion of filing, the official notification of the receipt of the Application is issued within 3-4 months.
- Then the Belarus trademark application undergoes substantive examination for about 20 months. On condition that the trademark meets the requirements of protect ability the grant decision is issued.
- After payment of the registration fee the certificate of registration is issued within 3-4 months.
- The entire procedure of trademark registration in Belarus takes from 28 to 30 months.
Duration and Renewal: A trademark registration is valid for 10 years from date of application. The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.