Legal basis is the Aruba Trademarks Act, which was set into force on 1 November 1987,as Aruba became an independent country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands on 1st January 1986.Trademark protection is obtained by registration.
Trademark registration classification:
- Applicant’s name and address.
- Prints of the trademark.
- List of goods/services according to the International Classification.
- A Power of Attorney simply signed
- The application is filed at the Bureau of Intellectual Property in Arub
- The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks
- After formal examination and acceptance, the Bureau will notify the agent and he can proceed to pay the registration fee, after which the trademark will be officially registered.
- Upon receipt of the registration fee the BIPA shall register the trademark a certificate of registration shall be sent to the applicant.
- The processing time from first filing to registration is approximately 2 months. It is possible though to file through an expedited procedure if necessary.
Duration and Renewal: A trademark registration in Aruba is valid 10 years from the filing date of application. It can be renewed for further periods of 10 years.