Legal basis is the Trademark Ordinance 5732-1972, last amended April 20, 2016. Israel is a member of the Madrid Protocol.Trademark protection is acquired by registration or through use. Israel recognizes well-known marks.
Trademark registration classification:
- The applicant’s full name and address.
- Power of Attorney (only where applicant is represented by an attorney).
- Copy of the mark (text, design, logo, etc.).
- List of goods or services covered by the mark.
- Details of the priority application (if relevant).
- Trademark applications are filed with the Israel Trademark Office.
- The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks.
- After filing the trademark application, there is an examination which the examiners from the Patent and Trademark Office checks the proposed description of goods and/or services associated with the given mark and decides whether it can be registered or not.
- Following the successful examination of the application, the trademark is published in the monthly official gazette for opposition.
- The opposition period is for 3 months from the date of application.
- If no opposition is filed within three months, the trademark is registered.
- The processing time from first filing to registration is approximately 12-18 months.
Duration and Renewal: Trademark registrations are valid for 10 years from the application date, and renewal is possible for subsequent periods of 10 years each.